Sunday, August 20, 2006


Fall is in the air. I am anxious to get into the studio and start creating! I always get a rush of ideas when school starts and my days become my own again. I have a notebook full of purse/bag ideas, and also a dozen art quilts just waiting to take shape.

This was a terrific leather shop in Venice. All those luscious colors of Italian lambskin. Lovely gloves. Hands. It makes me think of all we do with our hands, and what tools they can be all on their own. We 'speak' with our hands; draw; write; sew; weave; knit; crochet; sculpt; carve; make music. Recently I was studying my hands, aware of how like my grandmothers they are becoming. It doesn't bother me that they are no longer 'young' hands. Yes, they're getting wrinkly. I think that the wrinkles show that my hands have character, along with their various scars & the accompanying memories. (some good, some not so good) but all a part of me. I think my Nana would be proud of what's been created by these hands.

No comments: